At Perform Southampton, we are able to offer manual mandling training to local businesses. Course tutors Emily Billett and Mary
Tebb have been manual handling instructors at Spire Southampton Hospital as well as being an experienced Chartered Physiotherapists specialising in musculoskeletal conditions. The course takes approximately 2 hours to complete and is outlined below.
- Aims of training
- Definition of manual handling
- Legislation: Relevant aspects of The Health and Safety at Work Act and more detail on The Manual Handling Operations Act (1992) with an emphasis on the obligations of both employer and employees. Mention any relevant local policies.
- Basic anatomy of the spine and age related changes, 24 hour back care, management of acute mechanical low back pain.
- Ergonomics in the office, people’s size differences, development and management of repetitive strain injury.
- Risk assessment in manual handling with local examples from the workplace; use of “LITE” assessment and resultant action plans and safe systems of work, tying this in to legislation.
- Practical session with participants demonstrating how they can do a variety of manual handling manoeuvres safely.
- Certificates and course evaluation
This is a practical course, participants who are pregnant or who have medical conditions that affect their ability to participate in the
practical session should inform the course organiser. Participants should be dressed appropriately in loose fitting work clothes as befits
their normal environment.
Price £30 per participant up to a maximum of 10
Please call 02380 764348 or email email@example.com